For less than the cost of a single conference, become a member of 12 x 12 and get the motivation and accountability you need to write more picture book drafts each year. Learn from industry experts, receive advice on the craft of writing picture books from published authors, literary agents, and editors, and enjoy the fellowship of community — without having to travel.
Shel SILVERstein level benefits all levels of writers looking for motivation to prioritize writing and accountability to get picture book drafts written. Enjoy the support of a community of writers passionate about picture books and dedicated to improving their craft.
This one-time fee for the year provides the opportunity to get feedback on YOUR work—queries, pitches and manuscripts—perfect for writers who want to focus on both writing and revising while improving their craft.
Shel SILVERstein is also perfect for agented, published authors who, along with the other benefits, have access to an instant platform. A place to share your books, events, trailers AND to get promotion assistance from fellow members (via Member Forum).
Shel SILVERstein includes:
- Full access (view and post) to the Member Forum.* The Forum enables you to find critique partners, discuss specific picture book genres, and stay informed on special membership opportunities that arise through the year.
- Receive feedback from your peers, via the Member Forum, on: 1) query letters in the Query Corner, 2) pitches/hook sentences in Pitch Perfect, 3) the first 250 words of your manuscript in Manuscript Makeover Lite; and, 4) your complete picture book manuscript up to 1000 words in Manuscript Makeover.
- Benefit from the feedback of seven (spread throughout the year) working, professional, traditionally-published authors who will serve as guest critiquers in the Member Forum. All of our guest critiquers have been published within the last five years and are known for the quality of their critiques. You’ll benefit from their knowledge via your 12 x 12 membership and participation in the Forum.
- FREE registration for all twelve webinars in the 12 x 12 webinar series. Replays available for one month for those unable to attend live.
- Full access to the members’ only 12 x 12 Facebook Group.
- Opportunity to win craft-related prizes offered by the monthly featured authors.
- Ability to demonstrate your commitment to your career by placing the 12 x 12 participant badge on your blog or website, and being able to mention your participation in the bio paragraph of query letters.
*Except the Submission Station, which is for GOLD members submitting to agents
*Payable in full at $327 or two payments (one in Jan, one in Feb) of $170 each.
Have you been a member of 12 x 12 for at least one full year, including 2018?** Do you have submission-ready manuscripts? Are you looking for an agent (who accepts picture books!)?
Each month from February – November, Little GOLDen Book members may choose between two agents who will accept submissions from 12 x 12 members that month, enabling you to bypass the slush pile. That’s 10 submission opportunities in one year.
Little GOLDen Book includes:
- Everything in the Shel SILVERstein Level
- Access to the Submission Station section of the 12 x 12 Forum
- Information about that month’s featured agents
- Instructions on how to submit to one of them.
- FREE Registration to all monthly webinars in the 12 x 12 webinar series.
REGISTRATION for Little GOLDen Book for 2019 will be available but only to 2018 12 x 12 members, beginning with existing GOLD members and then extending to existing SILVER members (on a lottery basis) until the available spots are full. Your best chance of securing a GOLD membership in 2020 is to register for Shel SILVERstein in 2019 and get started writing those manuscripts and honing your craft.
**To qualify for a GOLD membership, you must have both been a member for at least one year and be current in your membership as of 2018. If you were a member in 2017 or before, but not in 2018, you must join at the SILVER level in 2019 in order to qualify for GOLD in 2020.
With members spanning the globe,
12 x 12 is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Once you join, you will be encouraged and supported by the friendliest writing community on earth as you attempt to write one picture book draft a month, AND to revise one manuscript as an additional goal. Little GOLDen Book members* will have the additional opportunity to submit one polished picture book manuscript to an agent each month February – November.
Each month we feature a guest post from a talented picture book author. These authors generously give away fabulous prizes to will help you with your craft.
You’ll get access to members-only 12 x 12 Facebook group, which serves as a support network, a question and answer pool, and a place to share resources. PLUS, 12 x 12 includes a robust online Membership Forum where members can receive feedback on their work and find critique partners. And that’s only the beginning.
- Monthly webinars with industry insiders including agents, editors, authors, and illustrators
- Motivation and accountability
- Worldwide Membership
- Encouragement & support from the friendliest writing community
- Little GOLDen Book members* will have an additional opportunity to submit one polished picture book manuscript to an agent each month February – November
- Monthly guest post & fabulous prizes from a talented picture book authors
- Members-only 12 x 12 Facebook group, which serves as a support network, a question and answer pool, and a place to share resource
- Robust Membership Forum
- Opportunities to connect with critique groups
- Critiques from published authors
12 x 12 Featured Agents in 2019
- Jennie Dunham – Dunham Literary
- Ginger Harris – Liza Royce
- Rachel Orr – Prospect Agency
- Maria Vicente – P.S. Literary
- Natascha Morris – BookEnds Literary
- Alexandra Weiss – Jennifer De Chiara Literary Agency
- Minju Chang, Bookstop Literary Agency
- Rick Margolis, Rising Bear Literary Agency
- Mary Cumming – Betsy Amster Literary Enterprises
- Alyssa Eisner Henken, – Trident Media Group
- Adria Goetz – Martin Literary Management
- Sean McCarthy – Sean McCarthy Literary Agency
- Laurel Symonds – The Bent Agency
- Natalie Lakosil – Bradford Literary
- Tanusri Prasanna, Foundry Media
- Brent Taylor, Triada US Literary Agency
- Jennifer Weltz, Jean V. Naggar Literary Agency (JVNLA)
*List in progress. Check back for updates